Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cycle 2

As a husband going through IVF the only thing that I could think for the next cycle was that I was on the wrong side of the coin. I figured I did not get lucky. I figured that this time I would catch my break. So, I wanted to be strong and optimistic for my wife.



So we went back to the Doctor's office looking for an explanation. Why did it fail? The Doctor was shocked to see us. He told me that my wife was young and he expected that she would succeed. He said that there are two protocols he follows and we would do the alternate protocol this time.

We discussed the embryo quality and why it did not work... I left unfulfilled. Why me? Why did it not work? I kept telling myself it was going to work this time.

We repeated the same protocol with different drugs this time, and went for the retrieval. However, this time we chose not to tell any of our friends or family. We figured it might be easier than having to discuss it with so many people.

We returned for the Day 5 transfer and the embryologist came in to talk about our embryos. She was not so thrilled with the way they turned out. This crushed my wife. We transferred three embryos and again got a negative test...

This was horrible, because now my wife started to research adotption, donor eggs and surrogacy. She apologized for being defective...

I felt even worse. I tried to make it better but I failed over and over again. What else was there to do. I told her we will do it again. That there was nothing else but to try until they say that there is no hope.

I also told her on the bright side we have 5 forzen embryos. Maybe we can transfer those...

We will see what the Doctor has to say. In the meantime, it is the summer time. We have fun stuff to do and lets try to enjoy it while the weather is nice.

I told my wife that she will be a mother. I told her to never give up. I told her that I was going to make this happen...

The crushing news of two failed cycles made me feel that this was not luck anymore. That we maybe have something wrong...

I now began to look forward to what the Doctor had to say regarding this disappointing cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment